Thursday, May 18, 2006

Where we're going, we don't need Rhodes

Hey, get this, I think it must be "Ex-Mariners Get Revenge on Deanna" week. Since yesterday Ryan Franklin lost the game for the Phillies in the 9th, and today Arthur Rhodes lost it in the 9th after the Phillies did such a good job rallying to even the score. Even better, the winning run was scored for the Brewers by none other than ex-Mariner Jeff Cirillo. Arrrrgghhhh. Fortunately, I see no other former Mariners on the Phillies pitching staff to ruin tomorrow's game -- and Old King Cole will be starting -- so I suppose it'll be up to someone else like ex-Mariner David Bell to lose the game instead.

The Mariners lost to the A's tonight in the Second Battle of Lefty Zen Masters, or maybe in the Battle of Wackass Rundowns. I'm not sure. Either way, I'll be honest and say that I wasn't around for the game anyway, as I was running various house-moving errands.

Speaking of which, I went to Half Price Books tonight to ditch a crate full of old books and movies. They gave me $6 in store credit. I used it towards buying the New Bill James Historical Abstract hardback for $14.98, since I read like 700 pages of it a few years ago and never finished it before giving it back. I went up to the counter with the book and my voucher like "Hi. I just traded a crate of books for two-fifths of this book."

But, anyway, someone must have recently sold a collection of actual decent baseball books to the U-District Half Price, because they had a ton of good stuff, most of which I have already. So if you're looking for some cheap copies of some great books, they had the following awesome books for about $5 each: "The Meaning of Wa" by Robert Whiting, "The Pitch That Killed" and "One Pitch Away" by Mike Sowell, "Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy" by Jane Leavy, and of course, "Ball Four" by Jim Bouton, among others. And if you're really looking to melt some brain cells, they even had a cheap copy of Juiced. I suppose it'd be ironic to buy a used copy of it, eh?

Unfortunately, this means I am still a very bad girl who hasn't acquired a copy of next month's Book Club book, Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty. On the other hand, I'm going to have plane flights to/from Philly in a week and a half, so I'm sure that'll give me plenty of reading time.

The game I did follow today for a bit was the Twins - Tigers game, where one must be wondering by now what Johan Santana has to do win a game. I mean, he got through the first 7 innings without walking anyone, striking out 11, and only giving up 3 hits with no runs, until giving up a home run to Vance Wilson (?) in the 8th. Justin Verlander, on the other hand, somehow managed to pitch 8 innings against the Twins without giving up a run (on 6 hits), or walking anyone, OR striking anyone out. How bizarre.

I was mostly following it because I have Joe Mauer and Joe Nathan on my fantasy team, which makes me wonder if next year I should perhaps go for the All-Joe team instead of the All-Cute team. I mean, then I could have Joe Crede and Joe Blanton and J.J. Putz and uhhh... well, okay, I guess it breaks down when I start thinking of Joe Randa and Joey Gathright. And of course there's Joel Pineiro. Maybe it'd work better if I consider Johan Santana as a Joe, and Kenji Johjima, and all the guys named Jose, since it's sort of the same as Joseph, right? Albert Pujols's first name is Jose, after all.

No comments: