Monday, March 06, 2006

Kirby Puckett

A few days ago, I noticed on my baseball ballparks calendar which I mention on here from time to time (this month's park: Bank One Ballpark in Arizona, with a horrendously bad picture where half the field is covered by shadow from the roof) that Kirby Puckett's birthday is next Tuesday, the 14th.

This morning, I scanned through the blogs and saw on Bat-Girl that Kirby Puckett had a stroke and might not even survive until next Tuesday. (mlb.com link if you don't have a strib login.)

[ original "send karma and prayers towards Kirby" stuff edited out ]

EDIT 5:43pm> Kirby Puckett, dead at 45. Bleh.

As usual, if you want a heartfelt write-up on Twins-related happenings, go see Bat-Girl's eulogy. I also like what Ball-Wonk wrote.

I'm sort of at a loss for words, and I don't really have specific memories of Kirby to share, except a silly one -- when I was a kid, since I grew up in a National League city before interleague play, I had trouble remembering all the weird names of players on the Twins, and for a while I thought they had this super-awesome player that everyone loved named "Kirbek".

No comments: