Sunday, August 23, 2009

Placeholder: People I Saw Today



I'm in Kochi for the day, heading back to Tokyo tomorrow after 10 days or so of my Great Train Adventure all over the western reaches of Japan. You'll have to forgive me for not writing more, but I only have so much downtime in the hotel to spend, and most of it has been spent watching Koshien when I can.

Anyway, I'll put more details later, but I was at the first game of the Kochi-Ehime doubleheader, and Hideki Irabu did infact start the game. He went 7 innings, allowed 3 runs (2 earned), struck out 3... walked 5, hit 1. Not a great outing, not a bad outing. The game ended up being a tie, 4-4.

There were definitely plenty of people there just to see him, and the team was even selling Irabu shirts and fans and stuff starting today. Also, he was signing stuff at a table for about 10 minutes after the game, so I chatted with him a little in English and got his autograph, too!

By the way, not that anyone cares, but I had a goal at the start of the year to see at least 100 baseball games this year, and to see games on all four major islands of Japan in at least 15 different stadiums. Today completed two of those goals -- I've just got about 18 more to get to 100.

No comments: