Monday, August 01, 2005

Game Report: Mariners vs. Indians - I snooze, they lose

Today's game sucked. There's no two ways around it. It was hot out, and except for an explosive first two innings, which took an hour to get through, and which the Mariners came out of with a 5-3 deficit, the game was largely fairly slow-moving and boring, eventually ending in a 9-7 loss to the Indians. Joel Pineiro was doing his best imitation of early-2004 Gil Meche, sitting there staring at the plate for ninety years before throwing every pitch, and then throwing donut holes to the plate. Mmm, donuts.

I think the highlight of the game was when a few sections over, some people celebrated this old lady's 100th birthday. I mean, dude, think about that, she was born at the end of July 1905... that's a damn long time ago! Ty Cobb started playing in the majors on August 30, 1905, for perspective.

Well, maybe the highlight of the game was seeing George Sherrill come in where once we would have had Ron Villone as our lefty setup guy. Sherrill looked really good, sporting a 2 IP, 3 K, 1 BB, 0 everything else line. I hope he keeps it up.

Which reminds me -- yes, incase you haven't heard it everywhere else already, and this is mostly for my own remembrance:

Winn to Giants for Yorvit Torrealba and Jesse Foppert

We knew Winn would be leaving. Torrealba should help out our horrible catching situation and he'll get more play time up here than he would in San Francisco.
Jesse Foppert could work out well as a pitching prospect, or at least help Tacoma when we bring up Felix.

Olivo to Padres for Miguel Ojeda and Natanael Mateo

We're obviously collecting right-handed Mateos, and playing musical catchers. I feel really, really bad for Miguel Olivo, but I'm amazed Bavasi got anything for him, so we'll see.

Villone to Marlins for Yorman Bazardo and Mike Flannery

I'm not sure I understand this one, but I know very little about these guys, both of whom are still fairly young prospects. I will actually miss Villone; go figure. On the other hand, out with the old, in with the new, eh?


Anyway, after the M's game a friend and I watched part of the White Sox - Orioles game on ESPN, and I was inspired later in the evening to write a song parody for that wonderful crazy hyper overly-traded dude Eric Byrnes, so despite it not fitting in with the "Mariners! The Musical" theme, I bring you Good Morning, Baltimore! Hope you enjoy.

No comments: