Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Who's Your Liger?

Over the weekend while I was obsessed with taking pictures of the A's bullpen, the Detroit Tigers finally managed to sign Andrew Freaking Miller, the number-onesix overall pick in this year's draft. It seems he got a major-league contract for a whole ton of money and is already on the 40-man roster and everything. Exciting. The idea that we may see him called up in September seems a little far-fetched to me, though.

The real question is, when will he show up on The Dugout, and will he have a better screen name than Justin Verlander?

Nate Robertson cracks me up. It's good to see that they're already gumming up Sean Casey. But I'm still disappointed that the Indians got our Big League Choo instead of the Tigers.

Speaking of other Tigers, if I'm counting correctly, I think Hanshin's Tomoaki Kanemoto is supposed to hit the 1000th game in his streak of playing every consecutive inning of every game, on August 15th against Yokohama. Crazy.

(The Mariners beat the Devil Rays tonight, 5-4, but I only caught about five minutes of the game, when Tim Corcoran walked Richie Sexson with the bases loaded. I was nursing my baseball hangover from the weekend by doing more exciting things, like laundry.

You know, when I was a kid, there was a guy named Tim Corcoran who played first base for the Phillies. I remember him because he was left-handed, and the year he was hitting really well for us was the year I learned that left-handed gloves go on your right hand, and how to 1) spot which fielders were left-handed and 2) whine at my mom on Glove Giveaway Day until she'd take me back to Guest Services to get a proper glove. I know next to nothing about this modern-day Tim Corcoran, but the name still reminds me of the older one. Anyway.)

No comments: