Friday, August 18, 2006

Hunter Brown For A Major Third, Not A Minor Third!

Yesterday's Mariners-Angels game sucked. I sort of kind of recapped it at Lookout Landing. Funny part is, I was making stuff up, but in reality the top three players according to WPA were Betancourt, Johjima, and Sexson, and Willie was dead last. Thanks, Fangraphs.

David at Sports And Bremertonians put up an awesome Mariners By The Numbers post today, with the list of all Mariners who have worn particular uniform numbers. Very cool. S&B's is now 3 years old. Happy blogday!

If you've been following my blog for a while, you'd know that I'm a huge Hunter Brown fan -- I chose him as my Adopt-a-Rainier in early May 2005, when a friend took me to a King Felix start in Tacoma the day before my birthday. Brown was 3-for-4 at the plate and was just plain awesome in the field, but at the time was hitting an anemic .148/.246/.185. Well, since that point he's been putting up pretty respectable numbers (to the tune of an .814 OPS last year and is currently at an .819 OPS this year), considering that Cheney's a bit of a pitcher's park as well.

I'm not the only one out there who thinks it'll be a travesty if he doesn't get a September callup. But that's actually not the point of this random burst of Hunter-Brown-For-Thirdness.

I was looking for old stats for him the other day, and I came across, of all things, a "music picks" blog entry from this past December:
"Newbie Hunter Brown rounds out the bill, and will be making his debut at this gig. He graduated from Rice University and plays baseball for the Seattle Mariners baseball organization -- but he's still a Texas boy at heart."
WHOA.

Anyone know anything about this? I'm emailing the blog writer to see if they actually caught the show, but wow! I knew that Brown was pretty intelligent and talented at baseball, but I had no idea he was a musician too!

No comments: