Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Back, back, back to the track, track, track

Tonight I went to the Lynnwood Funtasia to try out their batting cages. The verdict? They're not bad. The price is right - $1 for one "game", which is 18 pitches or so, or $5 for 6 "games", and I think the rates get even better from there. The catch? There's 8 cages or so, but only 2 of them had slow-pitch softball. I had to wait for a while to actually get to do anything, and eventually politely asked a group if I could take turns with them. Also, the pitches were sort of inconsistent at times and I found myself moving my feet too much to chase pitches. At least I could find a batting helmet that fit me there, unlike when I tried the cages at Bullwinkle's down in Tukwila and I had to readjust the helmet every three swings. I had a pretty fun time overall. Hitting is awesome.

On the drive back, I heard an inning of the Mariners-Dodgers game. It went something like this: "Adrian Beltre just loves playing back here in Dodger Stadium. He's already homered and doubled. And there he goes again... J. D. Drew is going back, back to the warning track, but it's over! Err... no, he made the catch. Okay. Here's Raul Ibanez. He's hit the ball into deep right field! J. D. Drew is going back, back, back to the warning track... and he makes the catch. Two outs, and Richie Sexson is up. He hits the ball to deep right field! J. D. Drew is going back, back, back to the warning track, to the wall.. goodbye baseball! Richie has hit his 12th home run of the year! And here's Kenji Johjima. He hits the ball to deep right field! J. D. Drew is going back, to the warning track, to the wall, he can't get there in time. Johjima has a double..."

At first I wondered if I'd tuned into the wrong station and was hearing a skipping record that was programmed to just keep saying, "J. D. Drew is going back, back, back to the warning track..."

In the end, the Mariners clobbered the Dodgers 9-4, which is a fine way to start off the series, if you ask me.

No comments: