Thursday, October 13, 2005

16-Game Plan Won-Loss Record Followup

Sorry, no funny stuff today. I managed to watch the second half of tonight's ALCS game, since it was actually on non-cable TV around here. That ninth inning was crazy. I have no idea how they managed to get away with it, but they did. If you didn't see it, here's a recap. The irony, of course, is that it was a lousy pitch on a full count, and if Pierzynski had just laid off it like a good boy, he would have walked anyway. They put in Ozuna to pinch-run, and the minute I saw him steal second, I somehow knew Crede was going to drive him in, and that this would go down in history in the annals of controversial postseason umpiring disputes. On the other hand, since my predictions said that the Sox are supposed to take the ALCS, I suppose I'm happy they won tonight, because heading into Anaheim two games down would be pretty tough. I'm also glad the game didn't go into extra innings - I was already late for my 8pm plans because I just had to see how the damn thing ended!

(edit: Jim Caple has a pretty funny take on it all)

Anyway, as I sum up the season, I figured one thing I should do is a follow up to this post I made in late August, when I wrote a Perl script to figure out the win-loss percentages of each 16-game season ticket plan. The Mariners went 9-10 in their home games since then. They were actually 39-42 at home this year, for a percentage of .481, as opposed to their overall .426 resulting from an abysmal 30-51 road record. I ran the script again now that the season's over, and here's the overall breakdown:

Plan A : Won 7 out of 16 (43.75 percent)
Plan B : Won 5 out of 16 (31.25 percent)
Plan C : Won 10 out of 16 (62.5 percent)
Plan D : Won 8 out of 16 (50 percent)
Plan E : Won 8 out of 16 (50 percent)
Plan F : Won 8 out of 16 (50 percent)
Plan G : Won 5 out of 16 (31.25 percent)

So, yeah. The initial speculation that led me to write this in the first place (namely, friends with plan B complaining that the Mariners never, ever won games when they went, as opposed to me saying my plan E games were not so bad) actually came true for the whole season - plan B tied with plan G for the absolute least amount of Mariners winning. Heck, the win-loss percentage for those plans was worse than that of the Kansas City Royals, with their overall .346. Ouch. The whole summary can be found here.

I wonder if the sales office keeps track of things like this. I can just imagine them over the winter, saying "All these plan C people renewed their season tickets, but everyone else cancelled. GOSH."

No comments: