Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Hey, Ho, Let's Go

I have to admit that I wasn't so keen on the nickname "Ho" for Horacio Ramirez at first, but he sort of earned it with today's outing against the Tigers. Richie Sexson even bothered to wake up long enough to hit a home run to bring the Mariners up 3-0 in the first inning -- against Jeremy Bonderman no less -- but then the Tigers just clawed back to stay on top and win the game, making it eight straight wins for them.

Of course, it could be worse. A certain other somewhat sucky pitcher named Ho might not even make it back up to the majors this year, although his ERA of 15.75 is even slightly worse than Jeff Weaver's current 15.35. Ouch. Whether or not Weaver should also have the nickname "Ho" bestowed upon him is another story.

In other news, Vernon Wells has a pretty good sense of humor.

And John Lackey has a blog.

I've meant to say something here about Alyssa Milano's mlblog at some point, but it hasn't really been relevant. (No, I'm not counting her as part of this entry's title.) Thing is, I don't really know how to categorize her. It's not a player blog, but it is a celebrity blog of sorts. Of course, as MetsGrrl also mentioned a few weeks ago, Alyssa has this "Touch" baseball clothing line out on the mlb.com site -- and most of it is stuff that I would pretty much never, ever wear. I have two reasons for this: first, it's all too damn expensive; second, it's all too damn girly. I mean, come on, rhinestone-studded jerseys and spaghetti-strap tank tops? It's not quite on the level of pink caps, but it's close -- something along the lines of, "I'm not wearing this to show my support for the team, I'm wearing this to look good and get guys to buy me beer." Though, to be fair, at least her clothing line incorporates team colors and the team logos, which is more than I can say for 90% of the women's clothing in the Mariners Team Store, most of which is in various pastel colors and covered in flowers and peace signs and such.

Perhaps the real issue here is that I don't drink beer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Mariners homestand quite a bit - nine games in ten days between May 11th and 20th. I'll definitely be at the 11th (Yankees), 16th (Angels), and 20th (Padres) games since they're on my plan, so I'll have some game reports then. (I haven't been able to see any of the current east coast trip games, because they start while I'm still at work and end by the time I get home.) I'll probably also go to the game on the 15th because Felix is supposed to come back and start, and it's a BECU night so tickets in View Reserved are all $10 instead of $18.

(Oh my -- I just went to look at the Rainiers schedule because I should go down there one of these days as well, and there's a big headline of "Go to the games Nick Lachey recommends! Check out Nick's Picks!")

No comments: