Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I'm as confused as the rest of you.

I'm sure that in some alternate universe, the Mariners trading Chris Snelling and Emiliano Fruto for Jose Vidro makes sense.

But not this one.

I'm usually the one around here going, "Hey, guys, it's okay, this isn't that bad, it's just a stupid trade, just a stupid roster move, there's no reason to start raising the pitchforks and punching your walls," etc -- but even I'm completely puzzled by this and a little bit saddened by the idea of not getting to see our favorite adorable Australian anymore. Looking back to May, when I had the realization that I simply didn't love the Mariners anymore, I said the only player on the 40-man roster that I really adored was Chris Snelling. I'd like to hope this trade doesn't go through. Even though Snelling might not have seemed like a huge contributor to the team on the surface, the emotional attachment one gets to certain players can be pretty strong. I mean, it's been fifteen years and I'm still residually pissed at the Phillies for trading away Von Hayes.

It's sort of like the helpless feeling like being a kid and having your best friend’s parents move across the country and take your best friend with them. You know you might keep in touch, but it’s just not going to be the same.

Man, the offseason sucks. And I'm really debating whether I need a more general baseball name for this blog, being as I really don't feel like writing about the Mariners very much lately. I could just change it to "Chiba Lotte Marinerds" and only write about the NPB from now on, maybe...

No comments: