Tuesday, January 24, 2006

シアトルにようこそ,城島さん!

Mariners introduce Johjima at Safeco

SEATTLE -- Kenji Johjima has been eager to show Mariners fans that he's working hard to learn English and fit in with his new Seattle teammates.

The new Mariners catcher -- and first Japanese player at his position in Major League history -- didn't waste much time displaying that effort at his first American press conference Tuesday morning at Safeco Field.

"Hi everybody," Johjima said to formally open the proceedings. "How are you doing? Thank you for coming today. My name is Kenji Johjima. I am from Sasebo, Japan.

"I am very happy to sign with Mariners. I like Seattle city and Safeco Field. I love baseball fans. I want to succeed in the Major Leagues. Do you have a question ... in Japanese?"

No comments: