Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday Foto: Calbee or Not To Be

The shelf at the Sunkus had many bright snacks,
I glanced through the boxes, looked through the racks,
When what to my wondering eyes should appear
But a bag full of chips saying baseball is here!
My thoughts were all scattered, like crumbs on the floor,
As I purchased the goodies and bounced from the store.
Away to my workplace I flew like a flash,
Tore open the package and looked at the stash.
His bat was a-swinging, his gloves were so pink,
I knew in a moment it must be Hiroyuki Nakajima.


Seriously. Last year every time I opened a bag of Calbee pro yakyu chips I seemed to get Ogasawara's clean-shaven doppleganger, so this is a vast improvement. On the other hand, I hadn't eaten potato chips in a really long time, so this might be bad for my health. On the other hand, now that there are Calbee 2008 baseball cards, the 2008 season is officially started!

Other stuff happened today too.
Hideki Matsui got married, but he won't give any details about his new wife. Even on the Japanese news they basically showed only him, he had a wedding ring on and had a sketch of his wife and was like "sorry... she's shy, I'm shy, okay?" Apparently he had a bet with Derek Jeter about who would get married first, though, which is pretty crazy.

Masumi Kuwata decided to retire. He'll be 40 on Tuesday and has been playing baseball professionally longer than BOTH of tonight's starters in the Fighters-Seibu game (Wakui and Darvish) have been alive.

Speaking of which, the Fighters won tonight's game, but barely. It was still tied 0-0 going into the 10th inning. Darvish pitched 9 innings, and Hisashi Takeda handled the top of the 10th. Wakui continued into the bottom of the 10th. Sledge walked, Konta pinch-ran, Koyano bunted Konta over, and then they intentionally walked Itoi and Naoto Inada to get to Tsuruoka (for a double play?), except the Fighters had SECRET WEAPON SHINJI who singled home the winning run. Fighters 1, Seibu 0.

I got my plane tickets and hotel reservation for my Sapporo trip, so I'll be up there from May 1 to May 4. Woohoo!

No comments: