Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Oh Captain, My Captain

In his most recent blog entry, Bobby Valentine mentioned something extraordinarily cool:
After the game many things were developed; one was that I had a final meeting with Satozaki, a fabulous catcher who was elected for the WBC team. Satozaki and I talked for a while and he understood a lot of the messages that I was trying to deliver. Every team needs a great leader, and the leader is usually called a captain, and I was ready to appoint him as the captain of 2007 Chiba Lotte Marines. He took this designation with honor. He had many of the right questions and the answers. I’m sure that he is going to become what I want him to become: the best captain of any team which has ever assembled.

You all know what a huge Tomoya Satozaki fan I am, so this news made me pretty happy. Ganbatte Satozaki!

While I'm at it, I should mention that there have been some neat video shorts on Michael Nakamura's blog. What's awesome about them are that he's interviewed in English -- speaking in his kickass Australian accent -- with Japanese subtitles.

Kazumi Saitoh's finally updating his blog again after a month-and-a-half hiatus, mostly to say "I'm sorry, guys! Spring Training is busy!" At least he posted his Arizona pictures. My gosh, Yoshimi is almost as tall as he is. They both tower over Egawa and Kokubo.

(In case you are wondering, I'm quite aware of the recent Seibu scandal, I just don't particularly feel like talking about it.)

Takuro Ishii wrote about how Shinji Mizushima visited a Yokohama-Softbank game the other day, complete with an awesome picture of a ball he signed. Mizushima is not only the author of Dokaben (a long-running baseball manga which I've mentioned before), but he's also one of the backers of the recently-formed independent Hokushinetsu League. Very cool stuff.

Not to be outdone, Akinori Otsuka makes fun of interns. No, just kidding.

But the real player blogger of the week that takes the cake is lefty pitcher and crazy-creative man CJ Wilson, who posts a "Rangers 911" video that he directed (and acted in). It's pretty disturbing -- Josh Rupe in a Speedo and all -- but nonetheless awesomely funny. Check it out. CJ Wilson is officially my favorite Rangers player ever.

No comments: