Saturday, November 06, 2010

Bunting is Stupid

And the Japan Series is going to 7 games, after a ridiculous 5 hour and 45 minute long slugfest that ended in a 15-inning 2-2 tie.

The Marines bunted themselves into two retarded double plays in the 10th and 11th innings. It was painful.

My favorite moment of the evening was the announcer saying, "Look at Satozaki. He even throws his bat on a FOUL."

I just sat and watched this game for 6 hours and I really can't think of anything to say about it. I think I'm getting burned out.

(I also can't seem to make myself write about Waseda beating Keio in the playoff game on Wednesday -- it was a really emotionally painful day for me in a lot of ways. And today I found out that the Fighters traded Hideki Sunaga and Toshimasa Konta to the Giants for Wirfin Obispo, which is a huge WTF. Team 52 is going to need a new name next year. I suggested that they join me in being Team 62.)

5 comments:

Shin said...

Bunting...if done correctly would've been great in those situations.

However...after both teams failed to advance the runners (Lotte even getting doubled up), just freaking stop it.

And yet, Lotte managed to try again...and got doubled up once more. Ugh...painful to watch indeed.

BTW, no Nippon Series chatroom this year at japanesebaseball.com?

Deanna said...

I wondered that too and was going to ask Westbay about it, but since I've been home at random for the games (usually just for the second half) I don't even think about it until I'm texting Steve like "OMG THE BUNTING MAKE IT STOP"

westbaystars said...

I was screaming at the TV to stop the bunting as well. I know that they just wanted the one run, therefore the one run strategy. But the lack of proper execution was driving me mad!

As for no chat room, it just didn't seem that anyone was really around any more. It started out as a way to keep people up to date on what was happening since streams weren't available. But with Justin.TV now, it just doesn't seem necessary to do the Pro Yakyu Live or chat any more.

Deanna said...

I think the point of the chatroom isn't to keep people up to date, but so that there's a place for us to chat about the postseason in English with other people following the games... the chat on justin.tv isn't exactly something I'd jump into.

If it wasn't for the fact that I was texting Steve and had a friend in Gifu (and another friend who used to live in Suzuka) on AIM, I would have really wanted a chatroom so I would have someone to talk to about the games, honestly.

Steve said...

I had about 5 texts going on during the game - I would have loved to live chatted from the game.

And I think the bunt strategy was stupid even if successful. Why take the bat out of your best players' hands? Saburo especially got you to that point in the game, all of the sudden you think he can't deliver? Tsuyoshi was a bit more defensible as he hasn't been swinging the bat very well to that point.

Oh well, we won :)